Thursday 12 September 2013

Day 7 - Tamworth-Gunnedah. And catchphrases.



7 days of cycling; 3 to go.

7 days gives you quite a good mesaure of people and now those started as strangers a week ago seem like old friends. Family, even. We have cycled, eaten, cried, laughed, slept and farted together. Pain, stories, energy bars and tears have been shared.

     Photo: Don't forget the nut mixes, Gary!

The over-riding feeling is that this is just a group of truly decent human beings. Before setting foot into a cleat, they've already raised funds for kids with cancer. But on the ride itself, the way everyone helps support each other and keeps spirits high is just a joy to watch.

    Photo: The riders at the Gunnedah Showground

One thing that has been a revelation is getting to know people's quirky catchphrases on repeat over the last week. Here are a select few:

Catchphrases 

1) Un - believable
Donna and Marie
Really means: What you just said/did was very silly

2) Look, I love ya.                                     
You're one of me favourites.
But this is NOT a conversation.
Brian Finemaster
Really means: Shut up

3) HahahahaHHAAAAAGGGGH!
Kirby
Really means: Usually a mildy amusing joke

4) Guess what we're doing tomorrow?
Riding a....*audience fills gap*
King
Really means: Really, I should've been a teacher instead of a financial planner

5) I've lost the car keys!                          
Carol                    
Really means: I've really lost the car keys - help!

6) Camp Quali'y                                    
Gary (me)            
Really means: I'm a bit of a bogan who needs elocution lessons

7) fffFFFFtt                                            
Ali                      
Really means: I can bushman's blow better than any man

8) How are you feelin'? Good?                
You're lookin' good!
Kempy                
Really means: I hope they say that I look good

9) Well just tell them to WAIT                 
Brendon              
Really means: I have diva tendencies

10) RU OK?                                          
Richard              
Really means: I'm a kind and selfess lad. My mum would be so proud.

11) We are so bleeding inspirated by what you'se are doin'                
Random Adelaidian at Tamworth    
Really means: My heart's in the right place    

Many thanks to Kirby for stepping in and writitng the blog for me yesterday. What can I say? Sometimes a man needs to Proud Mary on the Garyoke.

    Photo: Sharkie and Kirby mid-blog in the canola field

After an amazingly fun night in Tamworth singing until the early hours we had a very welcome easy day - just 80ks on flat terrain at a steady speed.

    Photo: Did you know Bella got the second Joker jersey for a record third time yesterday?! She's on fire. If she is trying to get the jersey each day, yesterday's stunt was a lot of effort to have to drive to Tamworth and back to collect your wallet. Well deserved.


The Marmong Point Marina Joker Jersey (for all your boating needs) went to Ritchie (can't quite remember what for but it was un-believable).
The Michael Phillips Financial Planning King of the Mountain Jersey (for all your financial planning needs) went to Kempy for soldiering on after a tricky year on the ride last year and always smiling (and yes, Kempy, you do look good too).
The Keith Lawrence Memorial Jersey for Most Supportive went jointly to our mechanic Nick and to Craig for helping with an infectious laugh. But not as infectious as Kirby's.

    Photo: Craig auctioning off two one-hour massage sessions. Kempy paid $210 and then gave it to his preggy wife Renee - how sweet!

The end is nigh! Un-believable.  

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Just a quick message to say looking forward to seeing you cruising into Newcastle on Sunday. Reading these blogs has made me both envious and proud of your achievements up to now. You guys are tearing up the course and coming home strong by the sound of it. I miss all of you guys that I rode with last year and disappointed I couldn't come along and enjoy in the mischievousness and nefariousness!! Good to see that the Blue Team winning Bolivia Hill. Our plan last year was to drop a rider off after they led the group over a number of kilometres but losing two in the first 100 metres wasn't what we had rehearsed in our discussions.
In sympathy I have made the kitchen stools into bike seats and have been walking around like Sterlo. Although, nothing has changed in the farting department...the kids did wish I went on the ride from that point of view (or smell). I can't imagine the Blue Team being penalised a tenth of last years efforts. Denis leaked points faster than you could say WTF! A shame the let down would of been the singing standards. Bozo assures me I've got a gig just around the corner...What an agent?!!! Finally, if you could please let Brian know that great DVD, planted, I mean found adjacent to my location last year is available for borrowing. Cheers All.
Ant

Unknown said...

Thanks for the call last night! It was great to hear you all! You all sounded very happy, I think?
Congratulations Richard on the Joker Jersey! Have you been cracking funnies again?
And yes, your mum is soooooo proud of everyone .
Your nightly blogs are fantastic, better than any bedtime story.
And Richard thanks for giving me Facebook and Blog,
I now have four friends, (even Nathan is my friend) cool!
I promise I will retire after your ride.
Stay safe, pedal hard you are the most amazing people.

See you all soon, Mother Kym xxx

Ann Lavis said...

Keep going hard everyone, you are almost home!! Enjoy these last few days and be proud of all you have achieved. The daily blogs are great, so good to see the spirit of CQ is well and truly alive (even if some of you are a bit worse for wear)
A big shout out to the support crew! Without you guys, this ride would be UNBELIVEABLE. Dazza, how's your dishpig hands this year? I hope you've been wearing your gloves. And Brad, have you seen Donna's bag anywhere??
Take care guys and know every pedal you turn and every ache and pain you have is making a huge difference to somebody's life.
See u soon, Ann xx

Anonymous said...

The three ladies in team pink are looking mighty fine in their Lycra! Woot woot!!!
Love our secret admirer

Mum & Dad said...

Hi Mick,
We here in Taree have been following on the blog and everyone appears to be having a great time,(I think!) not long till Sunday!!! Keep up the good work riders and also the support team who work hard in the background.
See you all on Sunday.

Unknown said...

Well, by now you have hopefully ALL made it to Murrurundai. Only one more sleep and I will get to meet you all in Singleton. Yippee !
So now its time to be serious, Richard. I have to write this to you because if I said it I would probably cry and you would tell me to politely SHUT UP! He's always polite!
By now Richard's dad Len has probably arrived to join the ride home. If he's there someone please give him a hankie. He sometimes gets more emotional than me!
So Richard you started this journey sometime back, none of us were sure you could and would aim up, however you have done better than that, you have excelled.
Your determination, courage, strength and attitude towards the ride has been a credit to you and your family. You wear your heart on your sleeve and you have never lost sight of the purpose, raising funds for sick kids, to give them a chance to enjoy life a little better with laughter during difficult times. Camp Quality you are legendary.
Your family is extremely proud of you and what you have accomplished. You are an inspiration and wonderful roll model to your younger brothers and sisters, not that Christopher and Kimberley will ever tell you but I know they are impressed and to Melissa and Andrew you are their hero.
May you always remember this great achievement with fond memories of those that rode along with you and all the support along the way.
Thank you to you all, you are all truly amazing, riders and crew.
I can' t wait to see you ride into Newcastle it will be one of the most incredible proudest moments of my life, knowing that you rode a 1000ks for kids.
Now son, head down, pedal hard your on the home run with a bluebird flying above you.
Stay safe, see you in Singleton.

So finally, peace and relief has now come Richard, this is my final blog (please don't cheer too loudly)
Signing off, Mother Kym xxxxxx

P.S. Her Ex &I, is racing in Newcastle tonight at 8.00pm, barrier 1. Go you good thing!

Kirby said...

There are so many inspiring people on this ride, but I wanted to give a shout out to someone who I really enjoy watching as they pedal along the highways. Who says it like it is but is always ready to laugh when something warrants it. For not wanting to get on the bike, but getting on again anyway. To Sharna, you've done it hard today, but you will be the one I am most sad about not getting to see cross the finish line in Newcastle. Ride hard for the last 156kms knowing that if I was there, I'd do a nudie around every corner for you!
Remember...
Life's battles don't alway go
To the faster or stronger man
But sooner or later the man who wins
Is the man who thinks he can

The best workplace in the world! said...

Chin up pink girls!!! Your almost home!! Bet you can't wait to be welcomed home by your J1 cheer squad! And we want you back at work ASAP!! You girls need to make up ALL your missed night duties! Ride hard girls!!!